Class 5/6A Home Learning 05.01.2020
The Silver Secrets of the Golden Hind
1. Why was León on night watch?
2. León had to work hard on board the Spanish galleon. Write down three of León’s daily chores.
3. Look at the paragraph beginning: And tonight, as… Why was the approaching ship deliberately slowing its progress in the water?
4. Under a blanket of smoke and dust, the privateers were clambering aboard, using axes and daggers to slash their way through the ship’s netting. What is meant by the phrase blanket of smoke and dust?
5. Look at the paragraph beginning: Under a blanket… León managed to make his way below decks without being spotted. Give two reasons why nobody noticed him slip away.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
1. Copy these sentences into your book using only the correct spellings of the words highlighted.
León had to be an obediant/obedient ship’s boy, otherwise he would be given a nasty punishmant/punishment. Being observant/observent, León’s boss noticed that a biscuit had been stolen.
2. Which sentence uses the colon correctly? Choose one and copy it into your book.
León had many chores to do each day wake the sailors: recite psalms, clean the decks and prepare meals.
León: had many chores to do each day wake the sailors, recite psalms, clean the decks and prepare meals.
León had many chores to do: each day wake the sailors, recite psalms, clean the decks and prepare meals.
León had many chores to do each day: wake the sailors, recite psalms, clean the decks and prepare meals.
3. Explain why dashes have been used in the sentence below?
The smell of gunpowder and smoke filled his nostrils as firebombs and grenades were hurled onto the deck and then came another sound – a terrible clanking – as grappling hooks clawed over the Spanish galleon’s rails, pulling her closer to her attacker, like a fly being gathered into a spider’s web.
4. Copy out the sentence below and underline the relative clause.
Among the baskets and casks and pots, he saw a leather trunk that was as big as he was.
5. Rewrite the sentence below so that it is in the passive voice.
His shouts instantly woke the crew and their captain.
6. Write out these events in the order in which they happened in the story.
León shouted to alert the crew.
León found a place to hide.
The air exploded with musket and cannon fire.
The Spanish sailors rushed to man the fighting platforms.
As the night faded, León spotted a ship approaching.
7. Now go back to purple mash and have a look at the writing task.Have a go at creating your own diary extract.